Thursday 23 February 2012

Path

On the train today.  Reminded me of an earlier journey, from Dundee to Glasgow.....

Path

Elbow to elbow

Rhythmically sway

Packed in our box

Rush on our way

Fold up my papers

Tuck in my feet

Musn’t protrude

Outwith my own seat

Watch out for the trolley!

Pull in my knees

Triangular sandwiches

Biscuits and teas

Where is my ticket?

My coat’s on the shelf

So sorry, don’t worry

I’ll get it myself



And out there unfolding beyond the thick glass

Pale pink and gold blossoms on fragile spring grass

Banks rubbed by the whorls on the river’s broad back

And pools of white gold where the current is slack

And under bare arms of those spindly trees

A black path uncurls and seems to say “Please –

Please stroll on my now, in the thin golden air

Hear the river converse, feel the wind in your hair!”

But I would be empty, as one and not two

So I’ll wait till I walk there, together with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment